Upcycled Painter's Purses and a DIY Painted Wooden Plank Photo Backdrop

Recently I've been making painted bags. I had painted on bags I made in the past but not like this. They're my upcycled purses adorned with acrylic abstract artwork. Like "painter's jeans" but purses. If you follow my instagram you know that's what I've been working on.

I don't usually use patterns but I really wanted to make a bag that involved little to no hardware (and I didn't feel like figuring it out myself lol). I came across the Laney Hobo bag by Swoon and gave it a try.

The first upcycled painter's purse I made, available here. At first I wasn't really sold on the shape but it has grown on me. It's a really practical bag, spacious and comfortable.

Paint splatter can get a little messy but it's fun.

The one upcycled painter's crossbody / messenger bag so far, available here. The button is vintage and just perfect because it looks like a glob of gold paint.

This is the second upcycled painter's purse I've made, available here.

I had also been wanting to make a new backdrop for picture taking. My dad found some old wooden planks and I had him come up with this.

The condition of the wood is pretty good. We're not sure how old the wood is or what it was used for but since I was going to paint over it, it didn't matter too much. I did sand out some spots though because I didn't want splinters.

So I wore gardening gloves to paint...and of course (dumb idea) the paint seeped through the cloth. It really sucks washing off oil based paint from the skin but got it all off eventually.

Finally, the new backdrop works great! In the future if I want to extend the wall to the floor I can easily add more planks. Most, if not all, my bags aren't very long though so for now it's fine how it is. I'm still undecided about using a decorative wall hook (like in the pictures above I used this floral wall hook I have). I like to keep things simple and let the bags speak for themselves but I don't know I'll probably keep doing both with and with out.

☮♥♻

Comments